Thursday 29 July 2010

Carnap and Goguen

I was reflecting upon the poor quality of the Google alerts I get on Rudolf Carnap and wondering whether to scrap the alert when along came this gem which I am very very glad know about, and makes me happy to continue receiving a high proportion of garbage in my Google Carnap alerts.

While philosophers continue to have doubts about Carnap's pluralism, we have now had half a century of pluralism in Computer Science and Information Systems Engineering, in which domain there is a natural presumption that languages can be invented at will and on a pragmatic basis.
Up until now, I have not been aware of any recognition either in Computer Science or Philosophy of the connection between Carnap's philosophy and the culture of computing.  At last I have a paper making the connection, between the work of Carnap and that of one of the great theoreticians of pluralism (without the word) in computer science, Joseph Goguen, whose work has already contributed a great deal to my way of thinking about mathematics and computing.

Carnap Goguen and the Hyperontologies (by Kutze, Mossakowski and Lütze) is the paper which explicitly connects the work of Carnap and Goguen.  It seems to be principally from an AI/Semantic Web perspective, and so I will be very interested to discover whether this will help with my "X-Logic" ideas (for which semantic web is one motivator).
In this connection, Goguen's previous work on (logical) "Institutions" is relevant and it is of interest to me to discover where this has now lead, and to be able to consider more carefully how this relates to my present perspective.

More anon on "Carnapian Goguenism".

RBJ

No comments:

Post a Comment