Sunday 16 May 2010

Chalmers' John Locke Lectures

What  great sign of revival in the respectability of Carnap is the devotion of the Oxford John Locke lectures, this year by Chalmers, to some kind of Aufbau-like project.

The last thing I saw of his was something on the distinction between verbal and substantive question, which I do think worth getting clear.

I doubt that he is the man to get to the core of Carnap's programme, which is not phenomenal reductionism, but its nice that he is contributing to the rehabilitation of Carnap.

I haven't actually looked at any of the material online (apart from the first abstract) but I may be back when I have.

RBJ

1 comment:

  1. What excellent news, Roger. I share your enthusiasm! Great link, too. Quite some progress from Grice's days when he gave the things back in 1979!

    --- I was interested that the things are sort of newish! (1950, funds by one Wilde -- this must be the Wilde of the Wilde Reader in Mental Philosophy).

    One condition is that you can't be working for a Brit uni -- or is it that you can't be an Oxford pro? (I forget). -- (I understand Chalmers is Australian born -- but in the case of Grice, it was quite a thing because He HAD been engaged with Oxford for some 30 years! He even had the occasion to utter his 'little vengance' in the Proemium to the Lectures, to the effect: "Well, I may not have won the John Locke scholarship, but I'm John Locke lecturer alright now!".

    Here the schedule from the link provided by Chalmers! What a great thing for the Carnap Corner indeed!

    ----

    •Lecture 1 (5th May): A Scrutable World [Handout] [MP3] [Slides]
    •Lecture 2 (12th May): The Cosmoscope Argument [Handout] [MP3] [Slides]
    •Lecture 3 (19th May): The Case for A Priori Scrutability
    •Lecture 4 (26th May): Revisability and Conceptual Change: Carnap vs. Quine
    •Lecture 5 (2nd June): Hard Cases: Mathematics, Normativity, Ontology, Intentionality
    •Lecture 6 (9th June): Whither the Aufbau?

    ReplyDelete