Monday 31 May 2010

R. B. Jones's System C-R

by J. L. Speranza, of the Grice Club.
-- for the Carnap Corner.

WHEN Grice was invited (we trust) to honor Quine (SOME honoring: it came out in a book entitled, "Words and objections" -- SOME pun on Quine's alleged masterpiece), he talked of "System Q".

When Myro died, among his drafts was a few pages (which I MUST have somewhere) entitled, something like, "A sketch of System G, in gratitude to Paul Grice for the original idea". He had indeed previously referred to such a System in a piece Jones is familiar with. Or rather with a piece by Myro in a COLLECTION Jones is familiar with, since it includes Code's "Izzing and Hazzing" essay. This one is Myro's "Identity and Time", where, as I say, he also mentions this System G (as he later will in his unpublished drafts).

The point then? Well, I have gone on record for having extended Myro's System G, into what I call "System G-HP" where "HP" are meant as subscripts and where thus the hyphen is unnecessary. I don't know if Rudolf had another name than Rudolf, but then there's R. B. Jones's System C-R, which is, thus, System Carnap.

I propose that Speranza's System G-HP and JOnes's System C-R are IDENTICAL, which is a good way to the City!

More on this later, I hope. I have to go the City of Eternal Truth right now to drop the news!

No comments:

Post a Comment