Sunday 14 February 2010

Carnap Bio

Surely I don't have to mention that this blog is devoted to Carnap?

Well, I'm just going through his "Intellectual Autobiography" at
present, writing another precis, pulling out the important bits for
our "Conversation between Carnap and Grice".

So maybe I'll post some of it here.

Anyway, I am impressed by how much new I get whenever I reread
something with a different purpose in mind (this is just a nice way of
saying how selective and minimal my retention is).

On this read, I look for it and I see, just what an important part of
the philosophical outlook of Carnap is already in place, even before
he comes to Vienna (let alone before Wittgenstein's influence kicks
in).

1 comment:

  1. Yes, that's so true.

    I'm saddened that by the time Grice should have been invited to have his pretty little volume for the "Library of Living Philosophers" he was (already) dead.

    Anyway,

    the bio thing here has a nice ring to Grice though. It reads:

    Grice, H. P. (Gr86:23) as Roger Bishop Jones prefers. "Prejudices and predilections, which become the life and opinions of Paul Grice" by Paul Grice. BANC 90/135c.

    Etc.

    ReplyDelete